It's after 11 pm on Christmas night. The girls are sleeping and the house is quiet. Even with us just being at home by ourselves this Christmas, it was a crazy day in which I haven't really had much time to think. I want to now, so allow me to sort out some of what's in my head before you.
Last year, Whitley melted our hearts by repeating over and over, "Jesus is born. Jesus is born this day." She was 28 months and we were so proud. To her, gifts were a plus, but she did not know to expect them. She simply talked about Jesus. Anna was only 6 months old. She was content to lie by the tree and stare at lights and play with ribbon. What a difference a year makes!
Whitley is 3 and a half. She has still been excited about Christmas being Jesus' birthday. She can tell you about Mary and Joseph. She knows the angels and shepherds played a part in the story of His birth. We've told her why Jesus was born. She likes to sing "Silent Night" and "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing!" But this year she discovered presents...did she ever discover presents! She's been giving her wish list daily for a least 2 months, and every day there has been something different about that list. This morning she opened all her gifts and said "thank you" to the camera for different ones to see without having to be prompted. But when it had all been opened, she sat back and wanted more. Someone please assure me this is normal for 3 year olds...even those learning about Jesus.
Anna is 18 months. She can't express what she may have learned about Jesus yet, and she doesn't know when to expect presents, but she knows how to lay her claim on those she receives. Much of our day fluctuated between the girls playing together nicely and fighting over baby dolls, strollers, bottles, and bears.
I grew up with a movie camera in my face, so I know that I definitely had some not so "true meaning of Christmas" moments. I keep coming back to those today. Finding hope in how Christ has changed and is changing my selfish heart. I am praying for my girls. Doyl and I so want them to celebrate Christmas differently from the world. We want to teach them why Christ had to come; why He chose to come. We pray for them to come to know Him personally at an early age and to serve Him their lives long. Today I've been reminded how much more I need to pray...how much more diligent I need to be to model my relationship with Him before them and to teach them how to follow Him. I get so busy in the day-to-day stuff (i.e. washing dishes and clothes that will never end) that I lose sight of the fact my girls will learn their first and, probably most impacting, lessons of who Jesus is by watching me and Doyl. Praying for them, loving them and teaching them are the gifts they'll have forever (quite literally). Making a big deal out of which baby doll belongs to whom seems kind of silly now.
Thursday, December 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment