MyFitnessPal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Now a Navy family...

This whirlwind we're living in these days is starting to become routine. It's amazing how quickly that has happened yet "routine" does not truly capture my thoughts. It is not routine for Doyl NOT to be HERE! Yet, it is. A contridiction, yes, but also our reality. I'm so blessed to have the influence and friendship of other military wives as Doyl, Whitley, Anna and I begin this new life. Knowing that we're not alone and that the adjustments just come helps.

The girls really are being troopers! They miss their Daddy, don't miss understand, but they have their little moments of missing him and then get on with their day. Daddy is away at Navy school and as soon as it is over, we'll all be together again. I enrolled them in Parents' Day Out at our church 2 days a week. That really helps break up the monotony and speeds the week along. While they are playing and learning, I (Robin) get to go to Bible study and the gym. We're only a week into this routine, but I believe already that we three girls are going to thrive in it.

As for Doyl, I'm going to let him tell you about his experience in his own words. I received my first letter from him today (We have gotten to talk on the phone a few times). I can hear his voice as I read it. Just a note...he was chosen for the Color Guard for his ability. He was chosen to assist with the remedial swim because of his ability. I'm proud of him. One of Doyl's greatest strengths is that he will do his job and help out in anyway he can and do it quietly. If no one notices, he will do it anyway. I am just so glad that someone is taking notice. Here are his words:

I am writing whenever I have a few minutes. Right now we are waiting for class to start. I know that everyone will be fighting to stay awake when it starts. We just got out of lunch, but I really don't know what time it is.

You said you wanted me to tell you about my day, so as I have a little time, I'll tell you what is going on.

This morning we woke up at 0400 (that's 4 AM for civilians) and were practicing drill for graduation by 0500. I will be carrying the Navy flag in the Color Guard. I volunteered to carry the Marine Corps flag, but that would have caused issues because of the heights of others.

After drill we went to breakfast and then sat in class all morning. We were briefed by JAG officers, and then lunch.

Now we've been back in the same classroom since 1230 and it is almost 1530 (3:30 pm) and our third briefing is about to start. After this we'll go back for chow and then to the hall where we're staying.

Tomorrow we'll start the day with a remedial swim. I am one of the ones who helps the students who didn't pass the third class swim quall. That consists of jumping off a 3 meter platform, floating for 5 minutes, swimming 50 meters and using a uniform to float.

The two Sundays I've been here I've been able to go to chapel. The chaplain is a Southern Baptist. He is a good man. There are 17 chaplains in my class. Eight are endorsed through NAMB. Last Sunday I went to a Bible Study led by a Commander...It was really good. I'm planning on going back. The overall topic is leadership, but he integrates both the Navy side and what Scripture says.

(2 days later)
Yesterday was nuts! We didn't seem to stop for very long. I went to the dentist and medical for a second round of immunizations (They have stuck me with 7 injections, drawn blood, and given me an immunization to sniff).

Now we're waiting for another brief. Here is goes...
We actually watched a movie. We may have to purchase this one. It is the story of an actual Marine Lt Colonel who volunteers to escort the remains of a young PFC. It is called "Taking Chance". The honor this movie does to our servicemen...there really are not words to express it. I just had to tell you about it. It really shows why all of us are here at ODS.

(The rest is for me)

1 comment:

vicki d said...

praying for you friend!