I'm currently in a Ladies' Bible Study that is going through Conversation Peace by Mary Kassian. In the reading today, she instructs readers to draw the image that comes to mind when you think of the word "overflow". For some it may be a river or a gently flowing spring. For others, maybe a cup or glass that is filled too full comes to mind. For me, the first thing that came to my mind was a toilet.
Now that might be because the one in my bathroom has overflowed twice in less than 2 weeks. But could it be a growing awareness of the kind of things I'm discovering in my heart? Matthew 12:34b says "For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart. (NASB)" In the last few months, I've noticed more thoughts that do not belong in my head becoming more consistent...criticism, judgment, aggrevation, envy. Where are "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control" (Ephesians 5:22-23)? The Apostle Paul instructs us to take "every thought captive to the obedience of Christ" (2 Cor. 10:5). In his letter to the Philippians (chapter 4 verse 8) he tells us to think on things that are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, of good repute, excellent, and worthy of praise. This kind of thinking is a discipline. It does not happen over night. Once accomplished, it can only be kept by practicing the same diligence that brought it about in the first place.
Unfortunately, I've gotten lazy. I've defaulted to what is easiest and sin is always easiest. Praise God He forgives and restores. He is doing a work in me. What work does He want to do in you? Why not ask Him? It's just the type of question He loves to answer.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment