Whitley loves to sing and music class is one of the highlights of school for her. For the Veteran's Day and "Holiday" Programs, the kindergarteners were not included among the performers. She was sooooo disappointed. She knew the songs and wanted to sing too. Well, this time EVERYONE was included. Doyl joined Anna and I at her school this afternoon to see our little star.
Now, I love to see her perform. She just shines! However, at the very beginning of the program I was sure I'd already experienced my favorite part. The high school band was there to open the show. For the first number, they played the Star-Spangled Banner. Of course, we all stood. Civilians with our hands on our hearts. Marines and Sailors at attention. Then the elementary students began to sing. They weren't prompted. They simply sang because they love our National Anthem. It was so moving, my eyes filled with tears. I was sure a series of 3 or 4 kiddie songs couldn't touch it. Whitley proved me wrong. It wasn't the song selection that did it. (The tunes I knew..."Yankee Doodle", "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean, etc"...The words had been changed.) What overwhelmed me was when Whitley finally spotted us toward the back of the room. She just beamed! She had been singing well, but knowing we were there brought her to a whole new level. That melts this mommy's heart. My little girl, who is growing so fast, still wants us there! She wants to make us proud (which she does) and delights in our support. What's more, she's not ashamed to let us know it!
Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment